19 October 2011

a bit more about my new shawl

I said the Terra shawl wouldn't get its own post but I changed my mind. I love this shawl so much - it's enormous enough to really wrap yourself up in, and the yarn (Bendigo Woollen Mills Rustic in 'graphite') has a lovely drape and extreme squish factor.

I neglected to mention that I didn't have the pattern but just winged it, with (it must be admitted) only moderate success. The last two lace repeats are slightly dodgy due to the excessive fudging of numbers, and one day I may rip it out and redo those bits because I now have the pattern. I know, I should have just bought it at the start and followed the instructions as clearly, Jared Flood is a better shawl designer than I. Anyway I now have the pattern and have almost finished another one in a lighter grey Pear Tree Yarn, this time for my aunt.

terra hybrid

Don't look too closely at the dodgy bits, just marvel at its impressive wingspan, ok? Then go and knit this shawl. Seriously, you need to. (Hint: use the pattern).

terra hybrid

I've been on a[nother] serious shawl kick lately. Not only have I finished this charcoal one and nearly completed the light grey version, but have only ten rows to go on my office shelf project which is a stripy green and black number, and have cast off and dyed red a lightweight Shaelyn shawl for my cousin (daughter of the aforementioned recipient of the grey shawl). Lots to show and tell when I get a minute.

terra hybrid

For those of you who asked, Son #2 loved camp. After a year filled with camps (Year 9 - six camps!) this one was the 'no technology' camp, which means they camp with just the bare necessities; no tents, sleeping bags, sleeping mats, stoves, backpacks or raingear. They each take three woollen blankets rolled up into a swag and tied with a belt or rope, with one change of clothes tucked within. They toss a week's worth of food (lightweight, no packaging etc), a cup, bowl and spoon, a billy and some matches into a dilly bag which they have made themselves (Son #2 can be seen sewing his bag here). The camp teacher gives each child a large piece of heavy duty black plastic which serves as their sleeping mat and/or shelter, raincoat, and swag cover. Then they set off and canoe through the flooded Barmah Forest for a week while their parents worry about them. Upon arrival home they downplay matters such as near hypothermia (extended swimming in the icy river), extreme cold at night (three blankets being almost sufficient but not quite) and sunburn (yeah I must have missed a bit with the sunblock), and instead focus on how AWESOME it all was. Thank heavens.

And now if you'll excuse me I have to finish a grey shawl by Sunday and bake a cake for the school Spring Fair on Saturday, in addition to becoming a cello virtuoso in time for our performance "gig" at said Fair.

(We do like to say band and gig. We are so mature).

18 comments:

Serena said...

I think you did a wonderful job! And it suits you. I don't think I could even attempt to knit a shawl without a pattern. Good luck with your gig!

The Elephant's Child said...

That is a truly beautiful shawl. Wow!

rachel said...

Oh how I want that shawl!!

But perhaps not the maternal terror as a treasured son grows up... I remember it all too well!

Thrifty Household said...

It is a very beautiful shawl!

P.S. Good luck with the 'gig'...

Annie said...

That sounds like some camping experience ... awesome indeed! As is the shawl :D

Tania said...

I am in awe of your non-pattern knitting chutzpah - and then for knowing when to BUY THE DAMNED PATTERN. 'Tis a beauty. With many more to follow, so I hear...

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- it's beautiful! I can't wait to see your next two versions. I'd love to knit a shawl, if I could just figure out how and where to wear one! And you're too darn funny with your band -- good luck with the gig!

charlottesplot.com said...

What a stunning shawl. I've been very boring in my shawl knitting - the same one three times (Ysolda's Damson). I think I need to break out, and I love the scale of this - impressive wingspan indeed!

Mousy Brown said...

I am trying so hard to resist the pull of shawl knitting...I am already totally overwhelmed by life at the moment...but it is getting harder and harder, I keep thinking maybe it will be the answer...:D

kgirl said...

beautiful - I think well done on the improv with the pattern! Can't wait to see the light grey one.

the striped office shelf shawl and Shaelyn both sound lovely too. Such shawl-y goodness :)

Stomper Girl said...

Your son's camp sounds like hell to me, but I'm pleased that he thought it was awesome!

zephyr said...

Love that shawl. All of your shawls, actually.

Gee. i assumed a "no tech" camp meant he couldn't take an iPod with him! i'm glad he's home and had a fabulous time.

Julie said...

I remember going off for a week in year nine with a sheet of plastic - they called it a "bivvy", but it was just plastic. Still one of my best memories, though I think we had sleeping bags.
Lovely lovely shawl.

Bronwyn said...

Suse - do you have a cello teacher? I'm tossing with the idea of going back to playing a cello (I did a little in high school, and always dreamed of one day picking it up again). I do feel like an absolute beginner though - not even sure I can still read music!

Thanks too for your post on Colonial Way - as soon as I saw it I said yes! and tentatively mentioned to the Family and they Loved the idea - I think we are booking!!! Did you do a whole week or just 3 days - not sure if we (non-campers) could take a whole week, but would love to try!

silverpebble said...

No pattern? Good grief, that is knowledge and skill beyond imagining. The result is exquisite and looks so so good with that skirt.

Janet said...

I'm very impressed that you can do lace without a pattern in the first place! I couldn't tell that the shawl was in any way inferior for lack of pattern. Indeed it looks awesome!

Glad son#2 has come back from the scary camp with great tales to tell.

do you mind if i knit said...

What a beautiful shawl, ans so beautifully photographed too. Very impressed that sewing comes as naturally to your son as breathing, very impressive. But I've just been lingering over your holiday photos! What an amazing concept for holidays, how idyllic, what a great idea. Your husband's jumper is lovely too, the green one. I imagine you knitted that, it looks fabulous. Vanessa xxx

Monica said...

this is beautiful.

I must knit myself a huge shawl too!