31 January 2012

cleverest shawl design ever

shawl

How brilliant is this shawl pattern? Very, I tell you.

shawl

I love the way the short rows not only ensure the stripes start out narrow and end broad and bold, but that it also means the spine is off centre.

shawl

The asymmetry ensures it sits beautifully around the shoulders. It's also enormous and personally I love good wrap coverage in a shawl. I would show you, only it was a thousand degrees when I photographed this and besides being hot and sweaty glowing divinely,* I was wearing gardening shorts and a singlet (no, I don't garden in stupid temperatures but I had done a spot of weeding at the crack of dawn before the mercury rose too high). Not quite shawl couture or conditions.

shawl

Quick stats:
Pattern :: Stripe Study (by Veera, knitwear designer extraordinaire)
Yarn :: sock weight, dyed by me
Needles :: 4 mm
Commenced :: July 2011
Completed :: January 2012 (this was my office project, worked on occasionally in my lunch hours and languishing on a shelf at work the rest of the time, hence the long marinating period).


Ravelled here.

Up next, another shawl. Yup. I am totally on a roll.

*My mother always taught me that Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glow divinely.

19 comments:

Mrs Jones said...

And - whoosh - into my Ravelry queue it goes! I much prefer your colours though...

Tania said...

And just like Mrs Jones, I too shall be whooshing post haste. Too clever, that asymmetrical bizzo.

Ullhärvan said...

I love the colours!
The pattern already is on my waiting list.

Lynne said...

Love colour choices - gorgeous shawl!

Thimbleanna said...

Wow Suse -- it's Stunning! Along with the unique shape, I LOVE those colors!

lori said...

I learned the same thing about sweating, perspiring, and glowing divinely! I grew up in Texas...

gorgeous shawl, beautiful colors.

silverpebble said...

Oof, it reminds me of chocolate limes and learning about perspective in art lessons.

Evelyne said...

Love the colour and design too. I have the yarn and pattern and am now going to start. Thanks for the posting - gave me a kick start.

Annie said...

It's wonderful isn't it. Every time I see one of these I am so tempted, but then find myself put off by all that garter stitch ... it looks good I just like a bit of knit purl variety.

This is just gorgeous :D

Rose Red said...

Great colours - the green especially is divine.

The Sea Garden said...

You make such lovely shawls! I AM going to make one this year.I have been reading your blog for years and have you on my blog roll, hope you don't mind!

fiveandtwo said...

Gosh, that's splendid. Well done.

Janet said...

Love that green and black combination. I can see how that shawl would have a lovely drape. If I ever finish my blanket and jumper etc, that is the shawl I would make. They look quite addictive?

Mousy Brown said...

I think I bought the yarn and pattern for this at the wool festival I attended last year...does that statement give you a clue as to how out of control my yarn buying has got? Seeing yours I hope I am right! :D

Erica said...

I agree - fabulous pattern (she has so many!) I knit one (though I don't love my color choices after the fact) and I don't even wear shawls. I loved knitting it though!

Yours is beautiful!

Duyvken said...

Oh my, that is truly beautiful!

Entre Nous said...

Yup, love this shawl :}

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

That's fun !
( Every singlet and shorts gardener needs a shawl with pizzaz ... Diana Vreeland said so . )

Serena said...

I have eyed this pattern, and now I like it even more. I love your version.