4 February 2012

frivolous

Last July when I was at Bendigo for the Sheep and Wool Show a group of us stopped on the way to the Show in a vintage clothing shop and several of us recklessly dipped into funds that had been earmarked for yarns and fleeces.

pink and pointy

I came out with a frivolous pair of palest pinkest pointiest kitten-heeled slingbacks (not vintage, but nestled amongst a display of antique gloves and perfume bottles and looking appropriately old fashioned and worthy of an Edwardian lady's dressingroom). And then had to cart them around the Show all day long. Poor planning on my part there. (But they're pink! And pretty!)

shawl

Several months later I was out with one of the same party buying yarn (we do engage in activities other than yarn shopping, I assure you). She was buying gorgeous charcoal tweedy wool to knit her husband a jumper and I was browsing bamboo yarns to knit our mutual friend a birthday shawl (the one here and please excuse that first shot, it was cold).

shawl

My girlfriend helped me select the right blue for our friend's shawl, and then spotting some divine pale pink bamboo, held it up saying seductively Those pink slingbacks of yours need a little lacy number to match them, I do believe.

shawl

She was right of course.

And so here we are. This is the third Shetland Triangle I have knitted; coincidentally all of them have been pink. One, two and now three.

shawl

I loved knitting this. The bamboo yarn is divine, full of drape and grace. The pattern is elegant and easy but not boring to work, and the thrill of seeing the lace emerge during blocking is always special. I love blocking with welding rods too. Feels ironic and mischievous.

Vital Statistics
Pattern :: Shetland Triangle Shawl, by Evelyn A. Clark
Yarn :: Cleckheaton's Bamboo 4 ply, 3.5 balls
Needles :: 5mm Knitpros sold to me and set up by Jules at Morris & Sons! I love them, Jules. You were so right.
Cast on :: 29 December 2011 (at my parents' house in Queensland during our Christmas trip)
Cast off :: 17 January 2012
Modelled :: too hot for modelled shots right now so my house wall had to suffice.


Ravelled here if you require even more details and feel the urge to follow the trail and knit your own.

18 comments:

Evelyne said...

That pink is gorgeous. I'm usually not a 'pink' person but gee I'm really tempted!!! I love it!!!!!

Kate said...

Wow!!!!!
I would love to see a pic of you all pinked up with somewhere to go. I bet they make a lovely lady like click clacking on the floors too. And that shawl is divine. xx

Annie said...

Wow Suse, it is gorgeous!!!

You are soooo prolific. I vowed to knit 12 shawls in 2012 and so far have half of one ... how do you do it?!

Suse said...

Annie, read the stats ... I started the green and black one last JULY! I am not that fast :)

Thrifty Household said...

I think it needed to be done...you'll love wearing them both!

Sarah said...

You owe us a photo with you all pinked up.

driftwood said...

oh it's lovely, it would take me years and years to knit that, and all the holes would be in the wrong places.....

Lynne said...

C'est magnifique! Tres chic! (Sorry, it just seemed appropriate!)

karisma said...

I am not a great fan of shoes but that shawl is divine! Just stunning!

Carolyn said...

so why exactly is there no picture of you wearing both shoes and shawl????

Mrs A said...

Love those shoes, and the shawl - i want one! Would you sell a pink one to me?

Sadie said...

'tis a lovely shade of pink. I too am not really a "pink" person, but that rose shade is very sweet

Janine said...

Beautiful. Your many shawls are highly inspirational. And you make it okay that I too recently finished a shawl that was started last July. Thanks to you I have officially forgiven myself. ;D

shadygrey said...

Shoes! Pretty, pointy, pink shoes! Delicate, lacey, pink shawl! PINK, PINK, PINK!
There, you see what you've done to me? Blew a girl synapse then. And I've gone and worn out my exclamation key too.

Stomper Girl said...

You know the weather has cooled down a LOT, so a photo of you wearing the slingbacks and that gorgeous shawl and a pretty frock to set them off would be perfectly in order now.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Everyone needs shoes like these and a fairy tale shawl .
Perfect !!

The Coffee Lady said...

But we need to see them TOGETHER....

Serena said...

Well, you are just going to look lovely in the shawl and shoes!