22 February 2012

puerperium

Nope. I don't know how to pronounce it either.

puerperium cardigan

I call it the teeny tiny red thing for Baby A.

Teeny tiny knits for very small people are immensely satisfying. So quick! So teeny tiny! So quick!

puerperium cardigan

My sources tell me the teeny tiny red thing has arrived safely in the wilds of Texas where my cousin, his wife and the brand new Baby A are currently living the oil mogul expat high life for a few years.

The pattern is Puerperium, a free baby cardigan on Ravelry, with buttons the length of one side for easy dressing in those early, floppy baby, nervous new parents kind of newborn days. And it's a beauty. A couple of evenings' worth of knitting followed by a week long quest for the perfect buttons, and it's done and dusted. I can see myself rifling through my stash and knitting a few more of these for upcoming babes. There are some lovely striped versions on Ravelry too, demonstrating that you don't even have to have two matching balls of yarn in your stash for this pattern. Win.

Baby A's unpronounceable teeny tiny red thing is ravelled here.

20 comments:

Tania said...

Totally digging the Teeny Tiny Red Thing and thinking how much I'd like to knit a Much Bigger Than Teeny Tiny Red Thing.

bec said...

i know how to pronounce it (being all midwife and such) but we never really bother using it. Would love a wee little cardi like that myself, for when I'm all floppy and find it hard to get dressed teehee

Jacqui said...

Such a cute little cardie and I love the colour! I thought I knew how to pronounce puerperium but I actually went and looked it up and it turns out I didn't - if I deciphered the weird symbols they use for that in dictionaries that is!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

An odd choice of name for a beautiful (and beautifully practical) tiny jacket ?
For some reason baby cardigans/jackets are now very difficult to find in shops unless you don't mind a baseball appliquè and hood .
Wonderfully crafty relatives are a godsend !

Jen said...

Beautiful sweater! It looks fun to make.

Puerperium sounds like something that would require ointment, and sitting in a special section of the ped's waiting room away from the other children during confirmation of Dx.

karisma said...

Gorgeous!

Annie said...

The teeny tiny red thing is just perfectly ... lucky baby!

Kate said...

I've been eyeing this pattern off, because it's simple and lovely and has those functional side buttons. Yours is so adorable, it's prompted me to print it out. Because clearly I need more baby things to knit!

How much of the third ball do you think you needed? I'm thinking I could use the leftovers from the blanket I'm making to have a matching top.

Molly said...

Oh! Gasp! Gorgeous! And probably much quicker to make than a quilt....Hmm.

Lynne said...

Gorgeous!

The Elephant's Child said...

An awed wow.

Laura Jane said...

its yummy! And I'm sure the recipient is too.

You're so clever :)

Fairlie said...

Why didn't they just call it post-natal and be done with it?

That is one very cute teeny tiny red thing. Much cuter than the somewhat odd name would suggest! And so practical!

Lisa said...

That is a really practical knit for a new babe. Thanks for sharing.

Harriet said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful little red thing! I spent the morning looking for something different for my new grandchild due next month and you've just made my life much easier!

Shammickite said...

I thought you meant that the new baby was a Teeny Tiny Red Thing.... because they can be, y'know.

Duyvken said...

Argh! So cute. And I wouldn't mind living the expat high life for a while.

Fleur Cotton said...

Really lovely knit and great colour!

It's great to see something different than pastel colours for babies...

Happy Knitting
Fleur xx

Isabelle said...

So cute!

textilehistorIE said...

So pretty! Love the red colour.