20 March 2012

All work and no play

the beckoning of autumn

This being Very Busy and Important is severely eating into my blog reading and writing time. Not to mention knitting and sleeping and talking-to-my-husband time. Housework time went out the window weeks ago and I am on the search for a cleaning lady. The children's familiarity with the vacuum cleaner grows ever deeper.

like wings

There have been little pockets of extreme loveliness though, squeezed in among the frantic weeks. A (long) weekend away with the amazing Craft Camp tribe at Sewjourn, a visit to the boys' school's Art Show, and a leisurely wander around a local Open Garden where I greedily bought far too many plants two and a half minutes before the stall lady bellowed Three plants for ten dollars! Timing, I haz it.

sunlight

I sewed some pretty things at Craft Camp and took terrible pictures of them, however they all turned out well (most unusually for me as i never have a 100% success rate with sewing)and I am pleased, although in my customary late fashion they are all summer clothes, just as autumn settles in. (Planning skillz, I haz them too). Still, that means I have a good nine months to finish the hemming and sew on the hooks and eyes, right?

I won the Op Shop Score of a Lifetime award while at craft camp. A trip to the Lancefield oppie resulted in a snazzy pair of red high heeled maryjane shoes that fit and are RED, and ... wait for it ... a sewing machine. In perfect working order. A vintage Elna. Better than my existing machine. (Its feed dogs can be lowered which many of you will know is a covetable feature in a sewing machine). The sheer appropriateness of buying a sewing machine from the charity shop while at craft camp just slays me. Brilliant. And one day I will have the time to use it, I'm quite sure.

cactus flower

I'm sure I have lots of other Important News to impart but many things have fallen out of my head in order to make room for all the work related business my brain must now hold. Let's see ... Son#1 is driving, did I tell you? It is truly terrifying being the Supervising Driver. Those of you with older children will feel my pain, I am sure. Son#2 is hassling me to let him sit the learners permit test too. I am reining him back, regaling him with stories of his babyhood and toddler antics. It is futile. Sons #1 and 2 both did a barista course to upskill, as they say these days. Both are now full on coffee bores. Son#3 came first in the long jump trials but last when it came to the real event. He bore it with a moist eyed stoicism. I deferred my studies for a semester due to the aforementioned sudden acceleration to full time Very Busy and Important at Work status. I am not bearing it with stoicism, moist or dry eyed. I am seriously disgruntled as I was soooo close to finishing the Neverending Degree. Still, it was refreshing to head off to Sewjourn with sewing and knitting, rather than a pile of notes and a half written essay. I turned 48 and received a pair of fancy pyjamas, chocolate, linens and a brooch. I enrolled in a grown ups tap dancing class (dubbed Nanna Tap). Can't link cos I'm on the iPad but I'm sure you know whose tap school it is. Also, soccer season started so it's goodbye weekends for the foreseeable future.

It's all rather too busy around here for a homebody like me.

19 comments:

blackbird said...

Summer clothes are good to have if you might be traveling to warmer climes.
Ah, the work brain. Perhaps you'll tell me more about it...

Kathy said...

You're dancing with Stomper! How delightful! I might be even more excited about this than you and she are.

Our autumns are always like that, too. So busy. No time to catch breath. And yes, being the supervising driver is the most terrifying thing in the world. This time next year I'll have both kids driving, oy.

Thimbleanna said...

Ah, but a busy life is a happy life! And tap class? That would be awesome. What a stress-reliever that would be!

Stomper Girl said...

Ah, I'm glad you had a little time out from Important Busy-ness to blog at us, because that was a super good post!

Get ready to box-step Ms Soup x

M said...

You may be doing Important and Busy things but at least you are still taking some time to Smell the Roses. A Skill I do not seem to have. Although I try to at least Do Things More Slowly.

Elizabeth said...

I was just thinking the other day that we hadn't heard from Miss Soup lately and here you are!
Busy, indeed.
My daughter got her learner's permit and then she was rear-ended stopped at a traffic light (by someone texting and not slowing down at all) and now we have a new car (and hopefully a very cautious new driver in the house)
Just think how delighted you will be when next summer rolls around and you have new clothes to wear (that you may or may not have forgotten about) Just finish the hemming first or the thrill will be diminished somewhat

Mousy Brown said...

Wow! I mean there is just so much to say and all I can think of is wow...especially the mary-janes and the sewing machine! :D

shadygrey said...

So glad you made it to the art show, even if I did miss you, both there and at the open garden! Hope we get to catch up one day...

SQ said...

Lovely to see a post from you after a little gap.

Lynn said...

Head. Spinning.

(Love your maple leaves.)

herhimnbryn said...

Ah, thankyou. That was like reading a long letter from a friend. I am imagining it all wrapped up in a pale blue airmail envelope!

Annie said...

Gosh you've been packing a lot in. Sad about the study deferment but I'm sure you'll get there in the end!

katiecrackernuts said...

Happy birthday. I saw you slip it in there.
The working and being incredibly important gig is an amazing concentration away from things one loves. I hope the work is something you love too to make up for it.

Shammickite said...

Better to be Very Busy and Important than sitting around twiddling your thumbs wondering what to do next. But you would never be in that state of mind, would you?

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Those shoes arrived at just the right time . Busy Importantness .... or , indeed , Important Busyness .... is much more fun in red shoes .

The Coffee Lady said...

I find it unbelievable that I can immediately guess which tap school a woman on another continent whom I have never met will be attending.

Jen said...

Nary a clue about where you're tapping, but I want to see the red Mary Janes.

Isabelle said...

I feel the same as Coffee about the tapping. Isn't the blog world wonderful? I'm so happy that you're so successful and busy... well, not so much the busy. But it all sounds very exciting.

Lynne said...

Sounds very a busy indeed!