26 May 2012

giant green gloop

A terrible disease killed off all the architects and Melburnians had to do their own buildings I read somewhere someone said about the RMIT building 'A terrible disease killed off all the architects and Melburnians had to design their own buildings'. Architects everywhere are probably cringing at that quote but it makes me chuckle every time I pass along Latrobe St. Edited to add: I have just googled (after the event, of course) and it is known as the Green Brain. Apparently it explores the tension between ideas and materiality. I guess in terms of architecture being designed to challenge and stimulate, it succeeds. (Why is Blogger not recognizing paragraph breaks this week?)

11 comments:

blackbird said...

Blogger is exploring the tension between ideas and materiality as well.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

What's the architect's contribution to this ordinary block decorated with a plastic outlet logo ?
Not that it's particularly unpleasant .... it's just run of the mill .
Mind you , most of our buildings aren't much to write home about either .

travellersyarn said...

really gross comment - sorry. My kids call it the booger building...

Suse said...

Ingrid, that is gross, but also hilarious and accurate!

Kylie said...

Great quotes :) Looks like something is bubbling up in there and spilling out. Kx

Julie said...

I always feel totally uncool because I cannot like or even appreciate that building. I ride past it everyday on my way to and from work and I always feel just slightly annoyed by it, and then feel like an old fogey who would say something like 'that's not music, that's just people shouting' except about architecture.

Shammickite said...

#What?????
It's definitely giant, without a doubt green, and as gloopy as can be.
But is it a brain?
I hope mine doesn't look like that.

Lynda said...

Nice one...in terms of challenging, it definitely succeeded where I was concerned, in that I had to stop myself from having a startled car accident when I spotted it. What a mess!

Elizabeth said...

This is right opposite my dentist & however bad the dental stuff this building always cheers me up - hot chips in the student caf are good too when it's cold and my mouth is sore & I'm hungry.
Why not have buildings to cheer us up? Lets have more of them.

Shadygrey said...

I already made this comment on your flicker stream, but I'm not sure if you saw it, so I'll be annoying and repeat it... surely it was designed by the Incredible Hulkitect... (exit left, laughing at own stupid joke)

Mike said...

It looks strange but at the same time It's appealing to me.