3 July 2012

The wifi is really fast in Harlem

I am on the other side of the world. It is hot. I missed a fairly crucial connecting flight (along with a dozen or so others on the same flight) due to long queues in Customs in LA and a storm in Houston, and to hang about in LA, sleep deprived and faintly smelly, then catch an overnight flight to NYC, ie ANOTHER night without sleep. One can go a surprising length of time without sleep, oi. And why can one's luggage make it onto a flight but one's person seemingly cannot? Hmmm?

Never mind I am here now! Did I mention it's hot? No hotter than an Australian summer but a bit of a shock when one comes from winter straight into a summer without the benefit of a fickle but helpfully transitional Spring.

So much to tell. But no photos until I get back as I don't have a computer with me. Harlem rocks, especially on a Sunday morning with all those gospel choirs on every corner. Central Park is deliciously green and cool in the shade, and enormous. Like, really rather enormous. I saw a blackbird there and today I saw two squirrels in Madison Square park and Sue nearly wet herself laughing at my squeals of delight and attempts to catch them on camera. She's skyping with her family as I type this and just about wetting herself all over again as she describes my squirrel-induced hysterics.

I can't quite process or articulate the experience of meeting blackbird after so many years but suffice to say it was strange and wonderful and familiar all at the same time. The day after next I shall sleep on her couch so I imagine it will cease being strange and just be wonderful and familiar.

Today was the flatiron building and the empire state building and the subway and the statue of liberty and the subway and Soho and skyping with our children and partners and mango and street food and blisters from all the walking and walking and the Village and weirdly flavoured cupcakes and scrumptious yarn from Purl Soho and did I mention it's hot?

As I type here in Harlem I can hear the whirr of the air conditioner (at 11pm), traffic, horns, voices, Skyping and the occasional rogue firework being let off. Probably illegally.

21 comments:

Mary said...

Happy. So very happy for you. And give Sue and BB a big hug from me.

xxx

Janet said...

Gosh it all sounds so fabulously exotic! And warm! I miss warm - it is almost as cold as Melbourne gets this week. Loving the blog and facebook updates - what a treat for us. Hope the rest of the trip is without delays and blisters (elastoplast is the best remedy I have found)and just all the wonderful things xJ

Lynne said...

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Bring some heat home - it's way too cold here!

gis said...

It all sounds great and I hope your trips is fantastic.
I laughed quite a lot, because you remembered me of my first time in Melbourne, when I squealed in delight and always pointed to parrots and all birds to anybody I knew, and they looked at me with that strange gaze saying "what is all this fuss about?"......

Ali said...

Goodness - how much fun. Worth every moment of travel hassle.

Sue said...

I think it is hilarious that you can matter-of-factly say 'oh there was a kangaroo in the road today' on one blog post, and then get all excited by squirrels on the next one. You sound like you are having a marvellous time.

Stomper Girl said...

I thought squirrels were really cute when I went to New York a lifetime ago too. Sounds like you are having such a good time, despite the stinky heat. Love to Sue form me too xx.

Sarah said...

Come north 4 hours!! I want to meet you!

Lesley said...

Have fun on the Fourth! I don't know if those cool NY types go crrrrazy like the Californians, but it is a day unlike any other. Have a fab time. Hope you got the phone working okay!

willowcaroline said...

WOW! So close and yet so far... the heat is blistering here in NC as well - and we have squirrels abounding, come on down! Have a fabulous time in NY!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

All sounds fabulous ! Lucky you !!

Jan said...

Ah... Welcome to NYC, although I live in NY State (go North on the Hudson River...). Hope your visit continues to be enjoyable and I hope you are staying long enough to get to see the fireworks, (local time), in the Harbor. You might run into my son, there!
Jan

Paula said...

Well...it's a bit warmer than usual here in the mountains in western North Carolina but as WillowCarolina said, we do have squirrels, (and wild turkeys and bears, oh my) so if you've a mind to, come on over for a visit while you're here across the pond.

embracingitall said...

I have done some squirrel chasing in the past too! The little beggers move so fast. Ekk, how exciting to meet up with a bloggie friend. I have a few I am determined to meet one day too. Enjoy the heat! Oh, and Purl Soho, I hope it was as lovely in person, as it is on the net. Jacinta

zephyr said...

There are no squirrels in Australia??
huh.
One learns something new everyday.

katiecrackernuts said...

All places I'd love to see myself. Lovely to read your impressions of them.

Poppy Buxom said...

De-lurking to say how glad I am that you and bird got to meet live and in person. She is very, very special ... and having gone through the same thing (although not from the other side of the world, or after six years) I know how wonderful and strangely familiar it is to finally meet and talk to her.

In other words, Yay!

The Coffee Lady said...

How amazing. After meeting Lynn for the first time this summer, I totally get the familiar thing.

shadygrey said...

What an adventure! Lucky you. I've just come back from Sorrento. Which was great, but, you know. Not quite NYC. Lots and lots of love from me. xxx

shadygrey said...

What an adventure! Lucky you. I've just come back from Sorrento. Which was great, but, you know. Not quite NYC. Lots and lots of love from me. xxx

shadygrey said...

What an adventure! Lucky you. I've just come back from Sorrento. Which was great, but, you know. Not quite NYC. Lots and lots of love from me. xxx