12 September 2012

We interrupt the holiday snaps

for a little wildlife.

ECHIDNA! OUTSIDE MY FRONT DOOR! Doing that whole 'I can't see you therefore I am invisible' thing.

ECHIDNA!

echidna!

I was sitting outside with a cup of tea and a new knitting book yesterday morning in the brand new still-a-novelty Spring sunshine (no work as i had an afternoon of medical appointments lined up for Son#2 who is having surgery next week) when i heard a loud rustling a few feet away, halfway up the steps. Closer inspection revealed this little fellow pretending to be invisible.

Poked his snout out for an instant

I sat still on the steps and after a while he poked his snout out for a brief moment. Small excitements!

An hour or so later as we left the house he was still there but had dug into the earth and covered himself almost completely with dirt and leaves. When we came home that afternoon the only evidence of his visit was an echidna-sized hole by the steps, which cleared up the mystery of who is responsible for the similarly sized holes we regularly see dotted about the garden.

Next up, either knitting news, The Cloisters, or Part I of Barns of Idaho: an occasional series. I'm undecided.

12 comments:

dragonfly said...

I would be beside myself it I'd have seen him! One of my favourite animals : )

Sue said...

I have a squirrel in my garden eating crab apples. How's that for exotic?

Julie said...

Oh lucky lucky you, to have this regular visitor. I'm sure it must speak well of your garden and family, that he comes to visit.

Lynne said...

I've only ever seen one in the wild - crossing the main, four-lane highway at Glenbrook in the Blue Mountains on a busy Saturday late afternoon! How exciting to have one in your garden! And even better ot get photos!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

The very best garden visitor . They're worth their weight in gold .
Good luck to Son #2! I hope he feels good as new very soon .

Stomper Girl said...

Echidnas are so ace. How fantastic to have one right in your yard.

willowcaroline said...

Oh. My. How fantastic! Sorry to hear surgery for your son is in the future... that is never fun. Hope it goes smoothly and all is well.

Naomi said...

Wow. I wish the nightly news report was filled with stuff like this instead of the usual reportage of horror and suffering. Thanks for the lovely update!

Naomi said...

Wow. I wish the nightly news report was filled with stuff like this instead of the usual reportage of horror and suffering. Thanks for the lovely update!

Naomi said...

Sorry for double comment!

Mousy Brown said...

We found a hedgehog in the chicken run, eating slugs in a very squelchy way last week...I too was overcome by this small excitement! :D

Jen said...

AHHhhh! Ahhhh! The dreaded echidna who --thank the Lord-- does not make its home in North America. I can't say I wasn't warned. Now I will have nightmares.