11 December 2012

knitted brown things and other happenings

Clapotis, wrapping and posting off.

Am I the last person on the planet to knit the famous Clapotis? It's deservedly popular as the finished garment is delightfully airy and delicate yet warm, but my it's a tedious knit. Knit on and on. Then give yourself a nervous breakdown dropping many many stitches on purpose. That bit felt really very wrong.

Anyway the brown clap should be on the other side of the world by now, hopefully wrapped around a pair of shoulders in a loving embrace. Well, something like that. I hope she likes it.

With the leftover yarn, I knitted myself a teeny little brown thing.

Cladonia completed

A Cladonia. It's very small and rather elegant and was a lot of fun to knit. I see a few more of these in my future, although maybe a little larger for more wrappage.

Then I managed to sneak in a brief 24 hours of craft camp.

Quiet moment

Do not be beguiled by the apparent serenity this photo implies. This room was a hive of industry from early morn to late at night. (Also, laughter, wine, chocolate, cheese etc).

And then I pointed the car back in the direction of Melbourne for the biggest lad's Year 12 Students & Parents Graduation Dinner.

These young people are a very special and tightly bonded bunch, and this was the very last time they would all be together as a unit. They entered the school hall (to tears and applause from the parents and teachers and a didgeridoo accompaniment) looking so grown up, each nonchalantly clutching their glass of champagne and walking tall, the girls in long glamorous dresses and Up-dos, the boys in their suits.

class 12 graduation dinner

When the teachers and parents surprised them at the end of the dinner and speeches with a song (Stand by Me), they spontaneously rose and put their arms around each other. It was at that point that I dissolved in floods of tears. (This is the group who, on their final day of school last month, presented the school with a film they'd made, featuring among other things a Gangnam Style parody, tributes to teachers and a rat-infested couch, and a magnificent finale in which one of the boys flew his remote controlled aeroplane fitted with a video camera, high up over the school oval on which the class had arranged themselves to form the words THANK YOU. See? Special. And technologically innovative).

Next week they get their final exam results and move onto the next chapter.

I'm a bit wrung out.

13 comments:

kt said...

Oh my, I have also not "caught" the Clap as yet...if you've done it, perhaps I'll give it a go one of these days...

And the wee one is just sweet.

Am plotting with my DH how best to create a craft camp here-- I'd love to set up something like that.....

And those wonderful young 'uns....really enjoyed the last post (with Bonus Giant Robot) and this one was as rich.

Well done them (and you!)

Lynne said...

What wonderful memories that class has built for themselves!

Your Clapotis is gorgeous and you're not the last. My DD is on Ravelry and has never knitted one, nor does she intend to!

Mary said...

Love the story of the kids spontaneously standing and holding each other - my eyes are all wet.

Sue said...

My eyes are all wet too.

We never ever have didgeridoo accompaniments. Our loss I think.

Tania said...

I'm welly-up-tears for you, Lovely.

Janet said...

You captured the light so well. Lovely to get to see you for a bit!

Eldest son's graduation looks so moving. It appears to be a beautiful school full of beautiful children/young adults.

Stomper Girl said...

I teared up just reading about it. So beautiful, what a fantastic memory for you all. I know how you feel about wrung out though. And it's *still* going on, I'll cry at the slightest emotional pull at the moment!

Sarah said...

I am a bit wrung out just reading it. Liz says a final goodbye to her Waldorf class this spring and Helen is looking at university. Where does the time go??

Thimbleanna said...

Gosh Suse, you brought a tear to my eye. Don't be too sad though -- I'm betting those kids will still get together. One of my boys had a really close class too, and modern technology helps keep them in touch. And then, there are the weddings -- sooo much fun with kids who are bonded. Your shawls are gorgeous too!

Mousy Brown said...

All so lovely, the knitting, the memories, their clever ideas...wonderful!

elizabeth said...

My Clap has a few pulls in it and I was considering making another but forgot the mindless-but-not-mindless-enough aspect of the knit.
Your shawl is fabulous. One week to finish? Come on over, I have a jacket that needs finishing before Christmas :)

Graduations always make me tear up. It sounds like it was so beautiful.

Shadygrey said...

Thank you for that post. So beautiful. I am missing that gorgeous class already. I just watched a vid of some of the boys singing along to Toto as they cooked their dinner at Waratah Bay. Toto!!

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Wrung out? I am not remotely surprised. And you fell into the Clap trap too! It looks lovely but have a hug any way ... those darn things put grey hairs on the most stoic of heads. Loving the Cladonia :D