7 February 2013

away

Shelly beach

Evening and we're still lying on the beach. #summerholidays

Yum

Good morning

upload

We managed to slip away for a few glorious days by the beach before the children went back to school. It always amazes me how even a couple of nights away from the house and routine is refreshing. When we returned I threw myself into some new year resolution type activity and made four batches of soap, lots of slices and muesli bars for the freezer, and nearly succeeded in conquering the ironing basket.

In other news, this January I somehow eschewed my now regular Annual Festival of Jane Austen and instead had a Festival of Jane Eyre. I am listening to a chapter a week via podcast and have watched almost every film and television version thanks to my local library network. However, someone on the facebook reading group posted about reading Jane Austen's letters and a perusal of the internets led me once again to that youtube raining men mashup and now I'm feeling the need to indulge in some (well, all really because I am nothing if not obsessive) Austen.

In the meantime while I await the arrival of all the Austen adaptations I've put on hold, we're watching a different version of Hamlet each week in an attempt to assist the middle kid to come to grips with it (it's on the Year 11 syllabus this year).

All this sitting in front of the tv is very good for my knitting. Expect an update soonish.

14 comments:

Lynne said...

What a great idea to help your year 11 student! I haven't read Jane Eyre in (hand over mouth and mumbling) years!

Cardemom said...

If you're on an Eyre binge you might also ty Jasper Fforde's "The Eyre Affair". It's quite silly but fun with all kinds of literary references and Jane Eyre right in the centre of it.

blackbird said...

You travel as I do - with four men.

Sue said...

My children do not seem to study entire works of literature. Eldest was examined on Frankenstein without actually reading the book.
Which version of Jane Eyre did you like best?

tut-tut said...

Beautiful. Very soothing, too.

librarygirl said...

1. Timothy Dalton's Rochester:be still my beating heart!
2. Just borrowed, for myself,the film of David Tennant's Hamlet for the RSC - apparently he/ it is stunning! ( he could be in a haemmeroid commercial and I would love him though.....)

Prue said...

Have you listened to Chop Bard's Hamlet? Your son will probably enjoy it.

Unknown said...

Have you seen David Tennant's Hamlet? I watched it recently, well in the last 5 years and enjoyed it, possibly an option?

Suse said...

Thank you for the Chop Bard recommendation!!!

And yes, David Tennant version is on the agenda for this weekend's ciewing. I am greatly looking to that version.

Elizabeth said...

Away! I've forgotten about going away, it's been too long! Your away looks very fine indeed. 'Tv is great for knitting, summer hols for reading.
A young co-worker just finished Pride and Prejudice for the first time at 26. I was amazed it took that long, she was amazed with Austen.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

The day I learn to knit while watching television I shall be a very happy bunny ... I drop stitches every time I try!

Looks like a lovely 'away' ... lucky things!

Ali said...

Looks like a wonderful break. Though I'd need about 6 months to rejuvenate me enough to make it to the bottom of the ironing heap.

Shammickite said...

A Hamlet omlette?

Di said...

It looks amazing....I love the beach. I remember Hamlet when I was at school - I really hated it - and I am Scottish!

I hope the knitting is coming along.