22 April 2013

small treasures

-

beach treasure

it's just the usual around here, nothing particularly worth recording. There's work, a looming essay, driving children back and forth from soccer matches, laundry, trying to get inspired in the kitchen (Jamie's 15 minute meals is helping, sort of), a 50th birthday party which was good fun, an outing to the Comedy Festival (Denise Scott and Judith Lucy being hilarious), the new Kate Atkinson novel (highly recommended), and the knitting of a pair of husband socks and a cardigan for me.

I planted some Tasmanian Flax in the garden yesterday. And we went to Ikea and bought two armchairs and a rug. The old icky carpet and the two mismatched op shop armchairs are now out by the roadside for Hard Rubbish collection and one chair has gone already. I thought we were the only ones who sat on tatty junkyard chairs. Apparently not.

I received a sewing book in the mail the other day which i must show you. I need to get inspired with the sewing machine too. I seem to sew a lot of clothes but still stare dismally at my wardrobe every morning. Is that physics? Or Murphy's Law or something? Who was Murphy anyway?

My office is freezing today. I'm wrapped in a shawl and my colleague in the office next door is wearing her coat. Oh my god, Autumn.

Ok lunch time is over. Back to the computer screen and some speedy typing to warm up my fingers.

(Beachy treasures were from our Easter break at Waratah Bay).

15 comments:

Jo Windmill said...

Lovely lovely treasures from the beach!
For "just the usual" it all seems pretty interesting around there!

silverpebble said...

Oh good grief. Your beachcombing finds have made me extremely happy this morning.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Sea-washed treasures always deight and get more wonderful as they dry . Perfect with the linen .

Doesn't everyone have bits of "found" furniture in the house ? I don't think we've ever bought a new kitchen chair , but new armchairs are a treat worth having ... and luckily Ikea haven't worked out a way to flat-pack them.

Ali said...

Sometimes the 'not worth recording' things are the best things to capture. Thanks for reminding me.

Lynn said...

You could come here and enjoy some spring. In theory.

I don't like Mr. Murphy very much. And your clothes are always FAB. Enjoy your chairs and your food, and feel free to share what made the 50th birthday celebration fun, as I have one of those coming up. The End.

alice c said...

I feel strongly about this - am I allowed to comment? Stop me if you get bored...

I am sad when I hear my friends say "just the usual around here, nothing particularly worth recording" - they are remarkable women, juggling family responsibilities with work and finding space for crafting and other creative outlets. They live all over the world in places that I am unlikely to visit with experiences that are fresh every day. I love to hear about the details of their lives - the food ingredients that I will never be able to buy here, the sound of the birds, the smell of the air after rain. Their usual, everyday experience is fascinating and different for me, their family lives offering new insight for my parenting choices.

I understand that sometimes life is busy and there is no time to blog or that people may choose not to blog for a while because there are things that they do not want to record but please, please never say "nothing worth recording" because that is not true of anyone and certainly not of you or any of my remarkable blog friends.

And on another note - I loved the Kate Atkinson novel too.

I'll get my coat now...

Z said...

Beautiful!

myartemismoon said...

I like to think it came from Edward Murphy(engineer)whose key element in defensive design theory was to ensure you planned for the worst case senario. Ironically it is almost always taken out of context and slightly mis-quoted as "if anything can go wrong it will" ... also later colloquially known as the fourth law of thermodynamics.
That was the story I heard in the Physics Dept at Sydney Uni when I was a student there ... who knows how these things truly start?
I love dropping in here and occasionally reading your posts about nothing particular :) Book recommmendations especially.

Suse said...

I have the best commenters in the world!

Artemismoon, thank you. And Alice, i have emailed you separately so don't you dare go and get your coat.

You lovely lovely people, you.

Thimbleanna said...

You always make me smile Suse. I love your long list of "nothing to report" -- the happenings of your last few weeks. I especially love that you threw that cardigan in there at the end -- the knitting of which would take me a year (or more). (I was just thinking I really should finish the one I've been working on for years.

I also love that at this time of year we can be sharing the same weather even though our seasons aren't the same.

Megan said...

Your beachy treasures are just beautiful.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

A veritable cabinet of curiosities you have there.

Finally warm here, not that I'm expecting it to stay that way but it makes a nice change :)

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Meant to say, Alice's comment ... spot on, she's a wise one, 'our' Alice !

Elizabeth said...

What Alice said. Keep warm.

The Coffee Lady said...

I love this post. Can't say better than that, really.