27 April 2013

yoghurt

I made yoghurt.

If you've been reading here for a while you'll probably have noticed I like to make stuff. Clothes, soap, toys, cakes, bread, jams and chutneys. Making my own yoghurt has always been on the list but I wasn't interested in buying special powders or canisters as I knew I'd never keep that up (I also knew yoghurt is just warm milk and bacteria).

I finally got around to it and predictably wondered why it had taken me so long.

I made yoghurt again. I am never going to shut up about this. SO GOOD. SO CLEVER.

I used these instructions and it worked beautifully. Every time.

Behold the delicious yoghurt.

Behold the Delicious Yoghurt.

I've made this for several weeks now and as with my soap, I think I can safely say I won't ever buy shop-bought scary-ingredient-filled commercial stuff again. Have a go, it's so very very good. And it will give you that warm smug glow of a person who knows they will survive the zombie apocalypse, (as long as you remember to save half a cup as a starter to take with you into the zombie-proof shelter).

The cat likes it too.


Your cat will approve too.

12 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

It does look very tempting !
But before I start , I must ask ...
About this zombie shelter ? ...

Z said...

Looks delicious!

Martina said...

You will have to make sure to include it in your Zombie Apocolypse bug out kit!! Of course along with your knitting! LOL

driftwood said...

I am confused. does yoghurt work against zombies in the same way garlic works against vampires?

always wanted to make yoghurt, I'm feeling very inspired

Suse said...

I meant that with my new mad skillz i will survive even when the supermarket shelves are empty cos of the apocalypse. I will have fresh yoghurt, bread and soap.

Course, one has to survive the apocalypse first ...

Jenny C said...

I'm inspired too. Step 6 looks a little scary. Did you use some bought yoghurt to make starter?

Suse said...

Six isn't scary! Just swirl, don't go berserk.

Yep, we already had Greek yoghurt in the fridge (we used to spend a fortune each week on natural yoghurt, greek yoghurt, flavoured yoghurt etc) and so i used that as a starter. Now i just use half a cup of the current batch as the starter for the next batch.

Megan said...

I've had the same link pinned for forever ... I have a son who eats the packet type yoghurt by the bucket load. Maybe this with some puréed fruit will work even better.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Won't you need a few cows or goats in that shelter too, to ensure a post zombie apocalypse lift time supply of the necessary milk? Hope you've built a big shelter ;)

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Oops, life time supply, no idea what a lift time supply is!

Jen said...

Ok, off to shops today to buy a gallon of milk, some qt jars and yoghurt. Wish me luck!

Jo Windmill said...

I had the same question regarding the connection between zombies and the end of the world. Yoghurt is powerful stuff!