15 June 2013

a trip interstate, for all the wrong reasons

Day 6

My rather charmed (in retrospect) life was rudely interrupted a few weeks back when i received a middle of the night telephone call and had to head north in a hurry the next morning. My father was in hospital in an acute condition and the expected outcome was, and still is, uncertain. He's out of immediate danger now and is in a rehab facility but the doctors tell us it will be a long hard road of many months' duration and indeed we are coming to see that for ourselves.

I stayed with Mum for twelve days, visiting Dad every day, and trying to help Mum as much as i could while i was there. My cousin arrived and spent a day at the house cooking and filling the freezer with meals for one for when we had all gone home, my uncle picked people up and dropped them off at the airport and drove them to and from hospital and was generally wonderful, and my brother arrived and being a nurse himself these days liaised knowledgeably with the medical staff.

Mum and i had several afternoon lessons on Using the Mobile Phone and Doing the Banking and Paying the Bills. ("Your father does all that.")

I am grateful that my children are old enough now that the prospect of leaving the mister with them on his own for an unknown length of time is no longer a huge stress in itself, and i'm grateful to have a husband who takes it all in his stride and sends me texts throughout the day reminding me i am loved and supported and everything is fine stay as long as you need to. I am thankful that i have work colleagues with whom i can confidently dump my tasks at the drop of a hat. Grateful too that i work for a large organisation that can accommodate unexpected absences and supports its employees to drop everything and run.

I am grateful for wonderful supportive friends who emailed, texted and rang, offering love, support, an ear, and useful advice. Friends near and far cheered me on via Facebook, and ... the lovely craft camp women posted continual Virtual Craft Camp photos for me and for Janet who likewise had an emergency and couldn't make it to the annual Queen's Birthday Craft Camp. They even made a very special and hilarious film for us, which you can watch here.

I have always known that i'm incredibly lucky to be the age i am and have both my parents still around (if far away), but the past three weeks have really brought it home in a new way. Puts things into perspective, really.

I'm still exhausted though, perspective or not.

19 comments:

blackbird said...

You know I'm thinking of you and yours...

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I'm sorry you're all going through this and hope that your father recovers well and as quickly as possible .
It does show how good it is to be surrounded by a loving family that rallies round .

Ali said...

I'm sorry to hear it has been a rough time - take care of yourself x

zephyr said...

i'm so sorry, Suse.
Yes, do take care...i'm so glad you can count on those blessings.
xo

Stomper Girl said...

I suppose the silver lining of this sort of situation is that you see how much love and support is out there for you and yours. Hope your Dad keeps mending and that you are keeping your shoulders down xx

librarygirl said...

Thinking of you Suse.
Life passages.

Xxxx

Sarah said...

My goodness. Hugs. I've been there and it is such a shock to suddenly be coping with all this. I am thinking of you.

Janet said...

I have the sense that Before was somewhat charmed now. But still, as you say people rally round. And there is lots of sweetness in the love and care and support. Here's hoping that things continue to improve for your Dad. xj

h+b said...

Xx Suse.

It sounds like you hve good family and people around you - best wishes to your folks x

alice c said...

I am so sorry to hear your news and I send you my love.

Elizabeth said...

More hugs from over here. It is good to know the forces are rallied around you.

willowcaroline said...

I am sorry - and hope he improves. As someone who also lives far from her parents, I know it can be hard to want to be in both places. So glad everyone rallied round. Sending warm thoughts your way!

walter and me said...

Oh Suse, sorry to read this news. Love and strength to your Dad, and all of you rallying around, being there. I know how hard it is when distance involved makes it even more challenging.

xxx

sewjourn said...

Thinking of you Suse and hope that your dad is improving. Sorry that you missed your Sewjourn. Talk soon xx

Kirti said...

Much love to you all and your Dad; stressful but special family time too - rallying together on all sides! xx

Jo Windmill said...

Wishing you and your family all the best wishes and support at this stressful time. It's so wonderful you are surrounded by love and support.

Judi said...

hoping your Dad's health improves..
It must have been a shock and a sudden realisation of the fragility of everything...and also the value of family and friends in tough times.

Shammickite said...

Real life can hit us very suddenly and knock us sideways when we least expect it. I'm thinking of you. And your family. Be strong.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Oh Suse, I missed this ... I sincerely hope that all is as well as can be hoped for, or better x