8 July 2013

huge

Winter

Thank you for your comments on my last post. I am pleased and relieved to be able to report that Dad's progress is now officially remarkable, according to us anyway. He was discharged from the acute ward after two weeks and is currently in a rehab facility until at least the end of July, but every day he becomes clearer and less confused, and is apparently enjoying reading an Ian Rankin novel (he has no memory of where he picked it up but it has a hospital library sticker on it so presumably (a) the hospital has a library and (b) the occupational therapist took him to that library one morning before Mum arrived for the day. He's also poring over the newspaper each day, shouting at Q&A on the telly and correcting the doctors on various matters so we may safely assume that My Father is back. He is still physically rather frail and his memory has significant gaps, but it's all looking good for a return home possibly next month. I didn't think he would actually get home again, so this is huge.

Early morning through dirty kitchen window.

Speaking of huge, shortly after i came back to Melbourne, i wrote my very last essay for my degree and pushed it through the slot. That felt good. Assuming i pass the essay (i was slightly distracted when i wrote it, after all), i should get to do this next month ...

Came home last night to find my graduation details had arrived. The mister left it  on the kitchen bench for me to find, with little flower and chocolate.  He's not bad sometimes.

Yes! I get to line up with all the twenty year olds and shake the Chancellor's hand. Finally. Who knew, when i started a BA back in 1983 that i wouldn't get to this point until 2013? I am simultaneously embarrassed and proud.

18 comments:

blackbird said...

I am simply proud.

And so very pleased to read about your dad's progress.

xo!

Felicity said...

excellent news all round! And congratulations again - finishing your degree is a huge accomplishment xx

Sarah said...

This is all huge news. Congratulations on finishing your degree and I'm glad your Dad is better!

Laura Jane said...

such enormous satisfaction in completion - thrilled to bits for you, and delighted that your Dad is recovering well, and can share your achievement with you

Janet said...

All so huge in what is shaping up to be a huge year. Big congratulations on finishing your degree. Also good to hear your Dad keeps making such wonderful progress.

Thimbleanna said...

No embarrassment needed -- just be VERY proud -- it's a big accomplishment. Congratulations!

I'm also happy to hear about your father. Scary how life can change so quickly, isn't it? We went through exactly the same thing last year with my father and we still marvel everyday that he is back to his normal self.

bec said...

Great news, and just a great inspiration to your boys, and many others!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Embarrassed ? What ever for ?
To have fitted this , as well , into a busy life full of achievements is wonderful !

Such good news , too , about your father ...

Kathy said...

Oh! Yay for your dad! Yay for you! Just Yays all around!

Frances said...

Bravo to you on your very own accomplishment, and also a bravo to your dad for choosing an Ian Rankin book. I am a great fan of Mr Rankin and am so fortunate to have even met him...probably in the last century.

xo from very hot, humid, and not all that pleasant July in NYC.

shadygrey said...

Your dad sounds like a beaut. And well done on the studies front, perseverance pays off! xx

knutty knitter said...

good news for your dad and degree. So there is still hope for that one where I only need two more papers and started in 1985 :) I did one paper 18 years back but then got tied up with life etc.

viv in nz

Stomper Girl said...

This is a happy post and it brought a great big smile to my face. Well done to your Dad and all his loving carers, it is great to hear that he's shouting at Q&A, as is only right and proper. And a massive congratulations to you for finishing that degree. Pea Soup, BA. I have seen how hard you've worked at this, whilst bringing up the boys, running the household and earning a wage, and still finding time to knit and create. You are a star. Good on your family for loving and supporting you, but most of all WELL DONE YOU! What a champion. xxx

Now what will you do?

kgirl said...

so happy to hear of your Dad's progress and improvement.

and well done to you, finishing your degree :D

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Huge indeed!

Fabulous news about your Dad.

And don't you dare be embarrassed about the time taken to get that degree. I did a second first degree (does that make sense) part-time, long-distance, while raising four kids and holding down a job, and although it only took me eight years that was partly because I was given advanced standing because of the first first degree so I only had to do two and a half years of the four. So from one who knows how tough that journey is ... kudos m'dear, you blimmin' well should be proud!

Julie said...

It is certainly a proud achievment, in no way embarrasing. I didn't attend my own graduation,not valuing greatly the degree I'd earned, but I tell you that if I graduated NOW, if I had studied for that degree whilst working and raising children and managing a household and the inevitable intricacies of aging parents, instead of just swotting hard before exams which you can do when you are 20something, I would not only attend, I'd bloody well drag everyone I knew along and force them to cheer me on.
Good news of your Dad too, it isn't much fun having folk in hospital, especially when they are not far away.

Jen said...

Hurray! Congrats all around.

Leonie @ Cuppa and Cake said...

I"m sitting here at my university job reading your post. I'm one of those people who pin's and gowns graduates and makes them look amazing for their photos and the big stage. What I wouldn't give to have the time to help you into your robes and make you look spiffy. WELL DONE!!! Take a bow!! x