13 July 2013

the last few days

crushing cardamom pods for curry

Crushing cardamom for a curry. My house smells divine now.

upload

A night in the city last night to see Circus Oz. Highly recommended.

Sunset in the supermarket carpark

Spectacular but brief sight in the supermarket carpark.

lovely lichen

Lovely lichen.

Appalling night time photo of finished socks before gift wrapping.

Birthday present for Dad. (The hospital is cold). We also bought him an iPod and filled it with classical music. Hoping his next birthday is celebrated at home.

Unphotographed: since finishing study recently I've been loving being able to read whatever I want, whenever I want, no guilt. If you're after some literary diversion, I can suggest When She Woke by Hillary Jordan (or even better, her debut novel Mudbound which is just wonderful), A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra which is exquisite and haunting, and finally, the truly wonderful and unlike anything else Sea Hearts by Margo Lanagan.

10 comments:

Jo Windmill said...

mmm, crushed cardamon...
what a lovely present for your dad! Nothing like warm socks made by someone who loves you, eh!

Frances said...

Sue, every one of these photographs shows something wonderful. I like your witty commentary, too.

That car park puts on a very fine light show!

The socks are beautifully knitted. Bravo.

Thank you for the book recommendations, too. I've got such a stack to books borrowed from the library, I wonder if I'll manage to read them all. Most are not-very-recent novels, but I'm currently making my way through an interesting non-fiction book by George Packer, titled The Unwinding, An Inner History of the New America. Not all that jolly but very well written.

xo

tut-tut said...

Lovely, all of it

Jo said...

I have two more subjects at Uni and am so looking forward to reading for pleasure again next year! Enjoy!

kgirl said...

there's nearly nothing better than the scent of cardamon, is there?

thank you for the reading suggestions, always on the hunt for new reads, too.

hope your lovely gifts bring some birthday cheer to your Dad, and good to hear that he's continuously on the improve

Shammickite said...

I`ve noted the titles in my `books to read when I`ve got time` notebook. I`m knitting socks too.... love doing that.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Gorgeous socks :D I do hope your Dad is masses better.

That's amazing lichen :D

Thanks for the book recommendations Suse.

RW said...

thanks for the fiction recommendations.

Shammickite said...

I just finished Mudbound.... enjoyed it immensely, although some of the scenes made me shudder.

RW said...

I have been away and just catching up on news .... sounds like a lot has been happening....

Your book recommendations are timely.