5 November 2013

5 nov

ddddddazzling

So bright, i could've done with sunglasses in my kitchen this morning. It doesn't look very bright or dazzling in the photo so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Lots of Melburnians had the day off today (for the "race that [apparently] stops a nation"). People who work in universities however, do not as it's most definitely the pointy end of semester. We did make a point though, of gathering to watch the race and cheer on all the pretty horses before drifting back to our desks for another hour of toil before the bells tolled. (They do toll too, at this university. A little melody rings out every hour on the hour, followed by the appropriate number of chimes. It's quite lovely especially as they change the melody every week or so. Often it's an anonymous little tune but recently i swear the bells were chiming London Bridge is Falling Down).

Son #1 has officially finished his first year of uni, as of this morning. I asked him what he plans on doing between now and March to which he replied "Lie in the hammock and drink dacquiris." Kidding. That's what *I* would have said. His answer was to try and get another couple of shifts at the cafe where he currently works.

Son #2 starts exams tomorrow. Son #3 is alternating between being um, challenging, and his old delightful self. Can we talk about raising teenage boys please? I need some tips. From my experience they are at their best when you get them alone, when they absolutely respond to being treated like a reasonable, rational and civilised young adult. But in a group? Oy vey, that pack mentality is wearing.

Your thoughts welcome. Or your offers of alcohol. I'm not fussed.

11 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

Wait, you mean you don't know? I was relying on being able to ask you when puberty strikes my two.

Maymomvt said...

You may be having trouble figuring out what to write about, but at least you are writing! I keep saying I'll dig into my blog in November and havent yet. What to write about now that the dear, sweet young crafty girls are teens and never producing anything photogenic....

Amy at love made my home said...

If only I were closer I would gladly take you out for a drink! I like the sound of the bells going through the day at your Uni. The blog a day seems to be going well - yay!

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

There speaks a woman who's never had teenage daughters . I would gladly have run away from home myself more than once during their teens . Now , they're a source of constant delight !

We had bells in the main square in town till recently . They sometimes played "Pack Up Your Troubles ... "

Deb said...

This is the nature of teen boys. You just have to hang in there and have friends that you can vent to.

My oldest son and I are a lot alike in temperament, so during a calm period we agreed that when we were having a disagreement that was escalating, one of us (and it was usually him) would say "Time out" and we would go to opposite corners until we could cool off. It didn't always work, but it helped.

The best reward is when they get older and say to you "Now I know why you always had us... (fill in the blank)

Hang in there.

Mary said...

I have one of each - boy of 17 and daughter 15. They are putting me through the mill at the moment. I swear they tag team each other so there is always one of them being difficult. One on one they can be lovely, sometimes ...

Priscilla said...

We have been through the mill with one teenage boy and two teenage girls, we are currently being challenged by an (almost) 17yr old boy and have another of each to get through yet - I find 15 the most challenging age of each sex - and believe me boys are as bad as girls - but, so far, so good, they all seem to come out the other side as (mostly) delightful human beings

Penny said...

I have 7 sons, and it's all about sweating out the testosterone. Punching bag, heavy work outs, and manual labor will clear their system out enough to make them tolerable again.

Rachel Bingham Kessler said...

I have no children, yet. But 6 nieces and nephews who stay with us from time to time. The oldest is 10 so all I can say for now, is, I love what Penny said. It's so rational!

Laura said...

My great grandfather used to say all teenagers should be put in a barrel and fed through the bung hole.

Jolie said...

I confess you have made it all seem so easy and delightful thus far that this post gave me a start! Hang in there - I like what Penny has to say about sweating out the testosterone...that already helps with my son (7) - I swear he's had a pile of it injected into his system lately...his twin sister is having a calmer phase right now, but no doubt saving herself up - her fearsomely dramatic personality makes me a little queasy about the idea of teenagedom sometimes, hahaha