10 January 2014

interlude

I've just had (it's 6pm on Friday) a precious week at home in between the week at Walkerville (aka Magic Beach) and the return to work next Monday. The mister went back to work this week so it's been just the boys and I, and no one felt like going anywhere much so we've been pottering, lazing, tidying and generally being quiet. Except for today, when we escaped the heat for a swim.



I've also been doing lots of sewing and have realised that while i photograph all my knitted garments, i'm rubbish at recording my sewing. Possibly because my success rate is not always 100% (but whose is?), but i want to rectify this because the blog is a useful record for me if no one else, much like Ravelry is excellent for logging notes and details of knits. So, stand by for a photo-heavy post of all the tops i've made in the last week or so.

In addition to making Fimo beads I've been quilting enthusiastically (another post is due) and dyeing my stash of cream wool blanketing in preparation for a project i may finally get around to at some point this year. I did a few colours each day and have only one undyed piece left from the enormous stash of blanket offcut i inherited several years ago.



While i'm having a miscellaneous photo-type post, here are some others from the week. Altissimo is blooming against the front of the house ...



and gingerbread was baked and consumed (recipe from Stephanie Alexander).



Delicious. Recipe recommended.

And while we're on sweet things, if you're in Melbourne, do pop in to the ground floor reception area of NGV at Federation Square and admire the jaw-droppingly fabulous works by the Hotham St Ladies. Everything except for the table, chairs and tv is made of icing, even the artwork on the walls, the rugs on the floors and the granny square throw on the sofa. Sensational stuff.







Picasso's Weeping Woman in icing, anyone?

10 comments:

Amy at love made my home said...

The colours that you have been dyeing are beautiful, I look forward to seeing what you make them into! xx

Lynne said...

Love your dyed blanketing. That exhibition looks fabulous!

Stomper Girl said...

"All the tops" you made last week? Show off. And I was feeling so proud because I finished one dress...

aspiritofsimplicity said...

wow!! that is a lot of icing! I had to laugh when I saw your beach shot as over here the Atlantic is actually frozen!

librarygirl said...

lovely post Suse, all my favourite things....
I love Walkerville, we stayed at Bear gully once, it was fab.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

That rose is sublime!

And the icing thing is pretty awesome ... I wonder how long it took ... any idea?

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

PS I forgot to add my admiration of the blanket rainbow ... can't wait to see what you have in mind for that wool!

Rae said...

Yes! Show us the tops pretty please!

Kaviare said...

Wow, those colours are beautiful! The beach and the wool blankets both.

I look forward to the photos. I always love seeing what other people have made and there've been some tantalising hints on flickr. I want to hear about them!

leisure-articles said...

nice and beautiful