4 March 2014

February was hot











Blogger has crashed every evening recently when i've tried to blog so i'm going to post quickly and hope for success.

February was hot and a bit scary for a few days there. That first shot shows the charred leaves that landed by our front door on the scariest day. We returned home after an evacuation day to find that yes, the north wind meant our house was directly in the line of fire. Literally.

The last shot is of Melbourne's White Night and it's when i try to link that everything crashes so you need to google White Night yourself, or just enjoy the photo. I put it there to remind myself that we did go out occasionally over summer to have fun, not just hide from the fires.



Other than that it's been birthday season around here with the middle lad turning 18 followed by the eldest turning 20 ohmygod and deciding to drop out of his university course (journalism) and start all over in a new one (music), followed by the youngest suddenly morphing from child to young man overnight, growing three inches and turning 15. This weekend sees my half century and then we're done with birthdays for several months.



Oh and this particular family of kangaroos has decided our place is part of their territory. They turn up at least twice a week and that joey is hilarious.




16 comments:

Stomper Girl said...

He looks adorable. And like he won't be fitting in there for much longer.

Janet said...

I'm in awe of you going to White Night. We were there last year and got caught in a crush. I had brief fantasies about taking Grace but wimped out. Your photos are beautiful.

katiecrackernuts said...

Happy half century. Your family is like mine. We have a run of birthdays Three in three weeks and plenty of friends and extended family surrounding that. I hope it's a great year.

flowerpress said...

Happy Birthday for the weekend Suse x Love the maggies in the paddling pool!

Lynn said...

Happy half century from an old pro. (So glad that you and your house are safe.) Also, I vacillated between journalism and music myself. Ended up majoring in journalism but prancing around in a lot of Gilbert & Sullivan operettas.

Zoya said...

Happy birthday to you and best wishes.

I'm glad that the fires didn't get any closer to you. I would love to live somewhere surrounded by nature, but the thought of the possibility of fire terrifies me.

Frances said...

Oh my goodness, let me send best wishes to you and yours in a place where fire and heat have been part of your new year, while over here in NYC we have been whining about record breaking cold and snow.

Reading this post from you tonight has reminded me once again about just how powerful the internet can be. How really marvelous that we who live in very different places can connect, on a regular basis, and actually gain son insight into how our lives are similar yet a bit different.

xo

Elizabeth said...

Happy Birthday Suse!
I always love your summer photos when we are up to our armpits in snow (still!) Fire is a little too close for comfort though. Stay safe.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

At first I thought the leaves were signalling of the beginning of your Autumn . It must be terrifying to live through even though you've seen it before .
Congratulations on all the birthdays , particularly yours ! Isn't it odd how each decade seems such a huge step , even though it's really only an extra year .
I do remember thinking at fifty that , at last , I'd grown up and waited for wisdom to follow ... Alas ! Perhaps when I reach seventy ...

pandchintz said...

Best wishes for a very enjoyable half century celebratory weekend!! Will this weather ever end? Glad you survived the scary fire day.

zephyr said...

Can't imagine the terror that comes with the threat of fires...so glad your home, family and family of wild friends are okay!

librarygirl said...

Happy birthday Suse, and have a wonderful year, I found lots of clarity came with that birthday! ( and two of my girlfriend left their husbands last year when they hit that birthday!!) Oh-o....

xx

Fairlie said...

Those kangaroos are fabulous! How lucky you are to have them in your yard! Happy birthday!

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

That joey looks like the pouch is starting to pinch!

I know how you feel, with a run of birthdays like that. We managed a 13, 16, 18 and 21 in the year the mister, who's a few years older than me, turned 50. Recently, when it was my turn to hit five-o, the youngest was turning 20, which made me feel incredibly old!

I do hope you've seen the back of the worst heat for this year.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Eek, I forgot to say Happy Birthday for a moment there x

Linda said...

Lovely photos.