19 May 2014

tea rose quilt















This is the quilt that started me on my quilting journey, if you don't count the blue hexagon patchwork that i started when i was fourteen and my mother ended up finishing for me when my eldest son was five years old, and which frankly is kind of hideous.

I collected fabrics for this quilt for ten years (i know, i know ...) always holding the idea in my head of a faded dipped-in-tea overblown roses kind of aesthetic. In fact one of the fabrics turned out to have too bright a white background and i did actually overdye it with old teabags, so the name of the finished quilt is fitting really.

I think of several people with immense affection and gratitude when i snuggle under this quilt. My darling friend Sue, who took jetlagged me to several quilt shops in Seattle when i visited her in 2002 and helped me add to my fabric collection. Jane, who upon hearing i was a hesitant beginner quilter who was intimidated by scary Quilting Rules, sent me her first book and encouraged me to dive in and ignore the rules, and then when i still hadn't finished, sent me her second book, pictured above. And Meredithe, master quilter extraordinaire, who very patiently showed me the ropes of handquilting one sunny afternoon at Sewjourn.

I've procrastinated blogging about this quilt because it is so truly gorgeous that it deserves the bringing out of the big photographic guns to do it justice (ie not just my phone) but the opportunities to do so have been few and far between and I just need to put it up here for the record. And of course the show-off factor. So, apologies for the iPhone photos if you're viewing this on a big screen. Just squint a bit and imagine glorious olde worlde late-afternoon-light rosy photographs instead.

23 comments:

Sue said...

Truly beautiful Suse. And a matching cat too. Just lovely.

driftwood said...

gorgeous!

Estella Star of the East said...

This is very, very pretty. Love the randomness of the piecing.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I read Tracey Chevalier's The Last Runaway recently . The heroine would have been so proud of this quilt ... it's heavenly .

Mindy said...

It has a lovely old world look, and pussy cat approved it doesn't get any better :)

Tania said...

Purrfect.

That is all.

librarygirl said...

Well that is bizarre! I borrowed that very book from work today. The quilt is lovely Suse x

Elizabeth said...

The quilt is very pretty. I can see it photographed draped on the lawn (under a willow) covered with tea cups and tea cakes, a wicker basket and of course, the kitten.

Frances said...

Your quilt is truly beautiful...you've created a completely unique combination of lovely harmonious fabrics and the quilting itself is amazing!

I am still a mere observer of the art of quilting, but feel myself getting closer and closer to actually trying to make my first attempt. I'd like to do it all by hand, remembering some quilts I remember from my long, long ago childhood.

You've also reminded me of my grandmother's tea-dying skills.

Thank you so much for bringing back all sorts of sweet memories and giving me inspiration, too. I do like the freedom of not being intimidated by Quilting Rules.

xo

Mousy Brown said...

I have spotted this on Instagram and liked it but just wanted to add my words of congratulations over here too...it's beautiful! :)

Stomper Girl said...

I'm so glad it is a finished object now. Lovely.

Helen Lehndorf said...

That is GORGEOUS! Nice work, and great fabric choices!

x Helen

Niki Thomas said...

unbelievably gorgeous!

Thimbleanna said...

It's Beautiful Suse! And I LOVE that you've hand quilted it!

Niki Thomas said...

I keep coming back for another look, it is so very beautiful... . swooning over those colours, well worth the ten year wait.

willowcaroline said...

Lovely!!!

Julie said...

the hand quilting really makes this quilt. It is lovely.

pandchintz said...

Yay Suz!! It looks gorgeous - well done you! So glad to have helped along the way. Next hand quilted quilt is...????

Kirti said...

So beautiful Suse!

Susan Milligan said...

I'm glad you chose to share it without waiting for the photography big guns. It is very lovely and its story a real quilt story, slowly forming in your mind, affectionate memories, accumulating fabrics - it's a new quilt with a rich history...love it. Congratulations.

sharon clues said...

WOW! this quilt is gorgeous. I love the faded, dipped-in-tea, roses aesthetic. you nailed it!

Duyvken said...

That is beautiful! What a lovely collection of fabrics.

silverpebble said...

Oh oh! I'm going to a one day quilt workshop on the 22nd, with Jane! Am gathering scraps. I've never made a quilt. Ever.