20 April 2015

pottery!

I told you I am doing a pottery course, right? It's a ten week beginner course, and then you can just pay for another ten sessions and keep turning up to the studio. It's kind of addictive and oh so satisfying EATING OFF YOUR OWN HANDMADE PLATE.

Breakfast on a handmade plate

Let the long Easter weekend commence! Shop-bought hot cross bun on a homemade plate.

Here's another slab plate, ready to glaze. I ended up glazing this in a simple white with a sparkle effect. I have no idea what it will look like (classy? naff?) as it takes a few weeks for the teacher to fill the [enormous] kiln and fire all our pieces.

Slab plate ready for glazing

This little pear was made on day one when we learnt to make pinch pots. Or in our case, pinch pears. That crackle glaze is a lot of fun. The bottom part of the pear is matte black, but the proportions aren't quite right - I wish I'd made the black just a skerrick higher.

Pinch pear with crackle glaze from pottery class no 1. Looks more accomplished with a b&w filter.

And finally, my first wheel-thrown pots. (Embrace the wonk is my mantra). These are little tumblers which have since been underglazed with mismatching pale blue bands. Again, they are yet to be fired so I'm not sure how they'll turn out, but that's half the fun.

First wheel thrown pots!

Continuing my year of doing stuff that's fun, on the weekend I went to a fantastic indigo and shibori workshop. Photos to come when I am home in daylight hours to take some decent shots, but in the meantime here's a little instagram photo of some of our sample pieces laid out on the table.

Shibori on indigo with @bekindtextiles at @handmakersfactory

I have some exciting news to share. Some of you may have already seen it on Instagram or facebook, but it needs its own post rather than being plonked here. Sorry to be such a tease! I'll be back with a big announcement soon.

6 comments:

Frances said...

Seeing these pottery creations of yours is so intriguing. I'd say you have a talent for this, and that your teacher is introducing lots of techniques. The entire glazing process seems like some sort of magic. When I visit The Metropolitan Museum of Art and am walking along some of the long corridors that link various wings of the museum, my attention's always drawn to pottery, from distinct cultures and centuries, that fill cases on the corridor walls. So many possibilities. Sometimes, I've actually forgotten which gallery room was my original destination!

The indigo shibori workshop is something I would love to join. Again...endless possibilities. I have a little collection of silk, cotton and wool scarves featuring shibori technique and hope to acquire more. My good fortune is that the fashion company for which I work has been including such scarves in the seasonal collections, and I've be able to acquire these gems ... almost for free.

Now...I'm really looking forward to your News! xo

Stomper Girl said...

I especially love that pear.

Megan said...

EATING OFF YOUR OWN PLATES!

Zoya said...

There is something beautiful about each pottery piece you made.

Rose said...

Where is this pottery course ?? I would really love to do one of these???

Suse said...

Hi Rose, email me at sreesosborne@gmail.com and I'll forward you the details!