19 August 2015

handmade update

Poor neglected (ten year old!) blog. I really should feed and water it occasionally.

Ok. Here are some pics of my handmade achievements over the past couple of months.

Reclaiming my fondness for pink with two Hemlock Woven Tees
A couple of woven Hemlock tees. Quick, easy, PINK.

Stylish Dress Book 2, dress G #handmadewardrobe #craftcampjune2015
An apron dress from Stylish Dress Book 2 (dress G), in black stretch linen. This has been a huge success - I'd wear it every single day if I could get away with it. I already have another cut out in indigo dyed lightweight linen, and tentative plans for one in oatmeal-coloured linen for summer.

Fun with the indigo vat #dyeing #indigo #shibori
Lots of shibori indigo dyed napkins, tea towels and scarves. Slightly addicted.

Never ending cardigan is ended. Blue bits done in the indigo vat!
A 'caramel' cardigan (free pattern on Ravelry) made entirely from charity shop 8ply. I had some grey and a separate amount of lemon yellow, neither big enough to knit an entire jumper or cardi, so I skeined up the yellow balls and dyed them in the indigo vat. Half of them went in twice. See addicted comment above.

sock progress
Socks with yarn from Ixchel Bunny, purchased on my annual weekend away to the Bendigo Wool Show.

Kindle cosy!
A quick diversionary project away from the bigger knitting projects, this little two-evening's-worth-of-crocheting Kindle cosy pleases me enormously. Crocheted with scraps of odd sock yarns, held doubled.

Lila - still needs blocking but as you can tell by the arm creases has already been worn.
A 'Lila' jumper. It is ridiculously cropped and blocking hasn't assisted much with length, but it's warm, cosy and the perfect green. You might remember I knitted the mister a jumper from the same Cascade 220 yarn some years ago (he kindly modelled it while steering a horse). I'll definitely knit this pattern again but I'll make it longer and probably skip the front hem shaping.

I made a #dottieangelfrock
And a dottie angel dress. I am hanging out for some warmer weather so I can actually wear this. I have another cut out in Nani Iro fabric and I'd like to make a couple in less folksy fabric so I can wear them to work. The neckline is crazy wide on me and the back neck needs raising so I need to make a few tweaks, but it's a good all rounder type pattern - easy, comfortable and fast.

It's good to put all my recent handmades in one place like this. I feel like so much of my time is spent at work or at the clothesline or in the supermarket that I don't get "enough time" to make, but seeing them lined up like this is evidence that grabbing those little pockets of time here and there is worthwhile as they do add up.

All the woolly projects are on my Ravelry page if you need pattern or yarn specs.

11 comments:

MyLittleBlueDog said...

Well you look like you have been very busy, love the woven tee's and that black linen dress is gorgeous. How are the kitties?

MyLittleBlueDog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bec said...

Well, I still love reading your 10year old blog! It takes no effort to read, but a bit to comment- but I had to leave one saying what a clever clogs you are! Love it all!

Frances said...

Wow, wow and wow again! What an amazing burst of creativity has been going on in your vicinity. The sewins, knitting and crocheting are all quite impressive. Those sewing designs are quite like what I used to like sewing (when I used to make most of my clothes.) I am particularly intrigued by the aprong dress.

Your Kindle bookcover made with the double stranding is a delight.

And the knitting...one more wow.

All this while keeping up the blogging for over 10 years is fantastic. Please do continue. xo

Jam Sandwich said...

Hi Suse Love the cardi, great colours. Can you share how you got hold of the Dottie Angel dress pattern? I really want to make this dress before summer starts but cannot find the pattern. And that apron looks like a very good idea. Lots of great inspiration thanks

Frances said...

Suse, it's me again. Somehow I forgot in my enthusiasm for your sewing, knitting and crocheting to send giant praises to your Shibori skill. This technique completely fascinates me. I am amassing a collection of Shibori scarves, from Japan, that are sold by my employer. Each one is different and mysteriously beautiful. Just contemplating all the knotting and other preparation for the dying is breathtaking.

xo

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

The cardigan is wonderful ... perfect colours .
Why do our 'op shops' only have fungus-sy shades ?

Susan said...

Hi Jam Sandwich, I went to the Simplicity Patterns website and downloaded it and did the whole annoying print it out and tape it all together process. Simplicity were having a sale at the time so it was only about $4 I think.

kgirlknits said...

PINK! :)

the cardigan is lovely - great idea to throw the yellow in the indigo vat

Susan said...

I've come back to say it wasn't the Simplicity site I used (where you can still download it, but for around $10), it was the sewingpatterns.com website, where all the patterns were on sale for $4.

Go and sew!

Rae said...

A couple of months! You're amazing!